Now, no one is saying that the Chinese Government shouldn’t be held accountable for a whole range of things, as countries like USA, Europe, Australia etc need to be held accountable. But what we are seeing is a concerted effort by primarily the mainstream media in the West, Governments past and present and the court of public opinion push a fear mongering position on China and the Chinese Government.
Threats from any global super power is always going to be there, as will geo-politics, but to fear China is going to go to war or invade a country is baseless in terms of actual factual information. And even so you would think the neighbouring countries and other Asian countries would fear this looming assumption and accusation more than say Australia – but alas, it appears that Aussies are more scared of this. Well that is according to the Australian Institute.
The report’s findings:
- 1 in 10 Australians believe China will attack, which is double the number in Taiwan;
- 70 per cent of people from both Australia and Taiwan think the island should become an independent state if it can maintain peaceful relations with the Chinese government;
- Men in Australia who were surveyed more confident of defending Australia from China if there was an attack;
- 85% of Aussies perceived the Chinese Government is aggressive ( it was 80% in Taiwan);
- Almost double the number of Australian men (49 per cent) as women (26 per cent) believe the country will be prepared to enter into a conflict if Beijing threatened Australia with military action;
Unsure, how all of you see this issue but it is something that as caused quite a lot of racism and anti-Chinese sentiment in Australia. The Chinese Government, Chinese people and the Chinese/Asian diaspora have been lumped into one group and anyone who looks Chinese is now seen as suspicious or disloyal.
We will leave it here for you to make your own conclusions.