Since our last post on the awesome and talented Asians getting on the podium and dominating various sports at the 2022 Winter Games, we have more of that to report on. This past week has been a successful one for the Asian diaspora who are competing at the games, and here are some of the highlights of the week and highlights we have missed and not written on yet, and good things that have happened since our last post on the Olympics. Good news that there are too many to write for individual pieces, so we will do one big one and slowly write out individual pieces for those who won a Gold Medal, which we have previously missed.
Please click here for the others we have written on already :
- 2022 Winter Olympics: First Historic Gold For Host Nation China In Short -Track Speed skating;
- 2022 Winter Olympics: USA’s Nathan Chen Records World Record In Men’s Short Program Figure Skating;
- 2022 Winter Olympics: Teenage Freestyle Skier Gu Ailing/ Eileen Gu Wins Gold For China + Becomes A Chinese Internet Sensation;
- 2022 Winter Olympics: Asian Aussie Belle Brockhoff Places 4th In Snowboard Cross Women’s Finals;
- 2022 Winter Olympics: Asian Americans Nathan Chen And Chloe Kim Score Gold;
- 2022 Winter Olympics: Let’s Talk About Men’s Short Track Speed-skating;
- 2022 Winter Olympics: Japan’s Hirano Ayumu Takes Gold In The Snowboard Halfpipe;
- 2022 Winter Olympics: An Asian Trifecta Podium For The Men’s 500m Speed Skating;
- Please refer to our post on Team USA’s Nathan Chen who bagged the Gold Medal for the “Men’s short program” with the Silver and Bronze won by figure skaters from Team Japan;
- For the “Team Event – Women’s Single Skating”, Team USA which includes KAREN CHEN won the Silver Medal, with Team Japan bagging the Bronze Medal;
- Team China already scored a Silver Medal for the Mixed Team Aerials the week before, and in a drama filled packed final, China’s XU MENGTAO (31), who is actually ranked #1 in the world for the sport, scored a Gold Medal for the women’s event and took home the host nation’s first Gold Medal for the sport.
- In the “Women’s Freeski Slopestyle” event, the popular GU AILING/EILEEN GU, who just a week earlier won Gold for China for the “Women’s Freeski Big Air” event, took home a well earned Silver in “Slopestyle” – that event she almost didn’t make the finals. We are pretty sure this is the first time a Chinese athlete has won Gold for this sport and possibly even medal.
- In the “Men’s Aerials” Finals, another clean sweep for Team China, with QI GUANGPU (31), unexpectedly winning the Gold Medal for China, and being the first Chinese man to win a Gold Medal for the sport.
- This sport is quite arduous and its basically cross country style skiing in different distance lengths. But, the good news is Team Japan scored a Bronze for the “Individual Gunderson Large Hill/10km, Cross Country” event just days ago. Japan’s AKITO WATABE won a Bronze Medal for Japan for this event.
SHORT TRACK SPEED-SKATING
- Please refer to our post on Team China’s Gold Medal for the “Mixed Relays”; – Team Hungary which includes the LIU brothers won the Bronze Medal;
- This sport, the Asian nations of China, Japan and South Korea have always performed well, and generally dominate and medal in this sport. Since our last few pieces on the Asians who medalled in this sport, more have medalled.
- Team China’s Ren Ziwei, who won the Gold Medal for the “Men’s 1000m” event- (please refer to our piece on this);
- “Men’s 1,500m” event where South Korea’s Hwang Daeheon won Gold (please refer to our piece on this);
- In the “Women’s 1000m Finals”, South Korea’s CHOI MINJEONG won a Silver Medal;
- In the “Women’s 3000m Relay”, TEAM SOUTH KOREA scored a Silver Medal and TEAM CHINA scored a Bronze Medal;
- Hungary’s LIU SHAOANG won the Gold Medal for the “Men’s 500m” event ( please refer to our piece on this);
- In the “Men’s 5000m Relay” last night, TEAM SOUTH KOREA won a Silver Medal;
- And for the final event for the short track program, South Korea’s MINJEONG CHOI dominated and won the Gold Medal for the “Women’s 1,500m Finals”. To add more awesomeness to this, she is also the current World Record Holder for this event and yesterday broke the Olympic Record during the quarter finals. In addition she has won this event in 2 consecutive Olympics!
- This is another sport which is dominated by European countries, and yes Team China scored a medal in the Men’s Skeleton event recently. YAN WENGANG won a Bronze Medal at this event, and it is possibly China’s first medal in the Skeleton events ( though we can stand corrected on this).
- Team Japan has a high standard in this sport, and they didn’t disappoint. A week ago, Japan’s RYOYU KOBAYASHI won a Gold Medal for the “Men’s Normal Hill Individual” event;
- KOBAYASHI also took home the Silver Medal for the “Men’s Large Hill Individual” event – he is amazing!
- Team China and Team Japan have performed well in this sport. For Japan, they have a high standard of athletes who have been on the podium for this sport in past Winter Olympics and they continue to do so in dominating, and for Team China this is a new frontier and sport for them and their performance has been exceptional as well.
- Team Japan’s HIRANO AYUMU, has won a Gold Medal for the halfpipe event ( please refer to our piece on this;
- Last week in the “Men’s Snowboard Slopestyle”, Team China’s 17 year old SU YIMING won a Silver Medal ( likely China’s first medals for this sport);
- We have already written about CHLOE KIM of Team USA winning a Gold Medal for the “Women’s Halfpipe” event, and Team Japan’s TOMITA SENA won a Bronze Medal for this event;
- For the “Men’s Snowboard Halfpipe” Team Japan’s HIRANO AYUMU won the Gold Medal. At only 23 years old this is his 3rd Winter Olympics and for both Pyeongchang (2018) and Sochi (2014) he won Silver Medals;
- During the “Women’s Snowboard Big Air”, Team Japan’s MURASE KOKOMO, who is only 17 took home the Bronze Medal;
- And finally, Team China’s young gun SU YIMING, who has already bagged a Silver Medal in the “Men’s Slopestyle” event, won a Gold Medal in the “Men’s Snowboard Big Air” event.
- Last week during the “Women’s 1,500m” event, Team Japan’s TAKAGI MIHO ( who also holds the World Record for this event), took home the Silver Medal;
- Team South Korea’s KIM MINSEOK, did his country proud bye bagging the Bronze Medal during the “Men’s 1,500m” event;
- Refer to our piece on the Asian trifecta podium for the “Men’s 500m” event;
- Team Japan’s TAKAGI MIHO bagged another Silver Medal in the “Women’s 500m” event;
What an awesome games for the Asians!~~~